Consequent upon the information released on Cyclonic Storm YAAS by the National Centre for Hydrology and Meteorology (NCHM), the Department of Disaster Management would like to inform the general public that the tropical cyclone over the Bay of Bengal will make landfall on the Odisha–West Bengal coast at noon on Wednesday, the 26th May, 2021 as a Very Severe Cyclonic Storm. As per NCHM, Bhutan may, as an impact of YAAS, experience cloudy weather, light to moderate rain in general and thunder and lightning over the southern and isolated places of central parts of the country from 25th to 27th May.
While severe impact from YAAS is not anticipated in the country, the Department of Disaster Management, Ministry of Home & Cultural Affairs, would like to remind the general public to remain vigilant to ensure your safety and that of your family. The Department would also like to urge the Local Governments to be alert and enhance preparedness to respond effectively to weather induced emergencies. Further, as Monsoon approaches near, the DDM would like to urge all to take the following steps to minimize risk to your life and the lives of your loved ones:
- Be aware of the history of flooding in your area and the potential flood risks.
- Do not go near the streams and river banks as flash flood can occur suddenly and without any warning due to weather events happening far upstream.
- Avoid all unnecessary travel and in case you have to, exercise extreme caution, as landslides and shooting boulders are very common during the Monsoon period, especially along the unstable stretch of roads.
- Never let children play near the river banks or allow them to go for swimming/ fishing in the river.
- If a flood warning is issued by concerned officials, be on the alert and listen to radio/ television/ online news for emergency information.
- In case of a flooding event, run to higher grounds and stay there till authorities determine whether it is safe to go back to your home.
- Cooperate with local authorities to ensure efficient and effective rescue and relief operations.
Cyclone YAAS Live Updates-National Center for Hydrology and Metrology,Bhutan.
For more information please contact +975 335578, +975 339673, +975 77452632